Basquiat provides discussion

   Need a challenge?  Here is a very contemporary work, done in 1981 or 82 by Jean-Michel Basquiat.  It is listed as either Untitled, or "Skull".      This interesting painting leaves little to interpret but much to discuss.  In looking into Basquiat's work, I have discovered he did more than one on these skull images, all of which are similar in subject and color.  In 2017 one of them sold to a Japanese collector for $110.5 million

   So what are we looking at?  A human head divided into strange sections, floating in a blue space.  There is little here for us to recognize, but I see the head interior like a house with three floors and many rooms, and maybe a track of some sort entering near the left eye traveling around and into parts of the head.  But this is only conjecture, and mine at that.   I believe each of us can interpret as we desire.   Certainly a general agreement could be that the head is not pleasant, but is it hopeful?  Does it display a history of trouble, but possibly a brighter future?   You decide, let me hear from you.
   Basquiat had a short but interesting life and looking into his life can create understanding about why he made such an image.  But we must view his work without that knowledge, for Art must exist long after its creator, standing alone on its own merit. 
  Make Art a part of your day, its a beautiful thing to do.






   

Comments

  1. What a complex painter and intense artwork. I feel like I'm trying to dissect it as I look at it. I read his bio and am amazed at his youth, his drive and his prolific work - with so many sculls!!! He is a genius and his art shows his reflections from Gray's Anatomy. I found his friendship with Andy Warhol surprising considering age difference, etc. I'm glad you introduced us to Jean-Michel Basquiat. His art, to me, has color, force, anger, sensitivity, conflict - all of which is difficult for me to interpret, but yet it is compelling and I want to keep trying to figure it out!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reaction! I am glad you looked up his bio. I just added a few more thoughts, so I hope you see those, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Basquiat has always been a favorite of mine.,,contemporary art a main focus since high school. My thought has been that we paint what we know OR what we wish to know. There is much inner turmoil with Jean-Michel's stunning colors and equally stunning marks. To interpret is to guess. His bio does point to much chaos in upbringing and in life. A short existence which ended too soon leaving a trail of beauty for others to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wayne Thiebaud, Sunset Streets

Nature Abhors A Vacuum, Helen Frankenthraller

Childe Hassam "The Avenue in Rain"