Patricia Beckmann "Midnight"


 This week I am waiting for a friend to send me one of her paintings so I am posting an old collage of mine. It is one of my favorites.   I have done collage for many years and have collected a large variety of papers and images.  It is a fun, but difficult process.  I find it a great way to express myself, but it is time consuming.

    I probably spent three to four months on this image.  It is not large, but complex.  I love looking over it and rediscovering designs, and mini images.  After looking small, look at the whole and see the flow of one paper into another, the rhymn from top to bottom, left to right, and diagonally down.

   This is one of the few monochromatic works I have ever done.  My memory is that I saw this as a challenge and I wanted to tell a little story with it.  So, if you want to, scan the image and imagine.

   I used a large variety of paper.  Some photo paper, some tissue, magazine images, as well as a large number of simple lined, pattern paper.  All of the pieces are very small.

   "Midnight" is a paper collage on board.  This image is shown with a four inch white matt.  It is 7 1/2 inches wide and 11 1/2 inches tall (this is the measurement inside the matt.   It remains in my private collection. 

Make Art a part of your life, it's a beautiful thing to do.  

Comments

  1. WOW! it is amazingly complex and one could spend a great amount of time studying it. I like collages generally and this one is wonderful. I am a color person but am still mesmerized by it. The collage that artist Beckmann did for me is one of my very favorite art pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine the patience it takes to assemble a composition like this. The number of pieces is mind boggling. It is fascinating to check out all the little detailed images and then back away to see the flow of color and movement. I was challenged to find a few repeated patterns. Solid blacks tie it together. A really complicated work!! I, too, treasure the collage I have that Pat did in blue colors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wayne Thiebaud, Sunset Streets

Nature Abhors A Vacuum, Helen Frankenthraller

Mucha Lithograph, Four Seasons, Winter