Woman With Flowers, David C. Driskell

    Here is a beautiful challenge for today.  It is an oil and collage on canvas, painted by David C. Driskell in 1972.
    From this reproduction it is difficult to determine what has been applied by collage as what has been painted, but it makes no difference.  The woman is centered across the middle of a distinct cross shape.  Her quiet, almost sleeping composure has been split in two, with the left half riding above the right.  A large arrangement of multicolored flowers camouflage her figure, adding a hope of life.   But it is easy to wonder if this is an image of a young woman's death. 
   David C. Driskell (1931-2020) succumbed to coronavirus April 1.  He was an artist and scholar in the field of African American art and emeritus professor at the University of Maryland.   In 2000 he was honored by President Clinton with the National Humanities Medal. 
   I think we can read many interpretations from this work.   It is very colorful with strong areas of black, whites popping the dramatic color palette.  I will not draw further conclusions into its meaning, but I extend that invitation to you.
   The painting is 37" x 38" so almost square.  It is considered representative of Driskell's work.  He is represented by the D.C. Moore Gallery, New York City.
   Make Art a part of your life, it's a beautiful thing to do.

Comments

  1. This kind of work always challenges me. I look at her face and get a somber feeling. Is it because she's African American? Then I see the beautiful flowers and it lifts my spirits. the fragmented pieces of color, shape and design around her only increase my curiosity. I have more questions than answers.......who, what, where, why? Looking for familiar information or just guessing makes it a very intriguing piece of art. It compels me to keep studying it. I'm sure the mixed media would add much, if seeing it in reality. Maybe it's all about the composition. Very interesting!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wayne Thiebaud, Sunset Streets

Nature Abhors A Vacuum, Helen Frankenthraller

Mucha Lithograph, Four Seasons, Winter