Ralph Goings, Ralph's Diner

    I have been wrestling with myself about if I should use this painting, but it is so different and unusual that I am simply going to ask you my dear readers to look beyond its shortcomings.  When reading about it on Wikipedia I discovered their image is from a reproduction so this picture is not as sharp as desired.   My suggestion is to not look to closely, rather sit back a bit and hopefully all with be clear enough.   I have looked at other Goings paintings, like this the best and know it is up for fair use under copyright laws.  
   So, this is Photorealism, a movement that began in the 1960s and 1970s.  This particular painting was done during 1981-82.  Ralph Goings (1928-2016) was a highly educated artist, completing his education with an MFA from Sacramento University.   He lived all of his life in California, painting the daily objects we see around us everyday: hamburger stands, pick up trucks, and still lifes of objects often seen on a diner counter.    
    As I have written before, I am particularly drawn to paintings with strong compositions, which is probably why I like this one so much.   It appears we have probably just entered the diner and are looking into the interior to select where to sit.   Our attention is immediately drawn to the man with no shirt, for all the lines of the painting point directly to him.  Thankfully he has his back to us, otherwise our attention would go no further.  There is a quietness to this painting, a stillness.   I believe there are two waitresses on the far right, down the counter a bit.  But they are so engaged with each other they have not noticed we have entered.   
    The windows give a hint to time of day and general location. But it is all the small things in the painting that create a sense of amazement and awe, as Goings has presented all in such detail that we must gaze over the whole scene and look to our hearts delight.  Here we can see what we would never see if we were actually present.  We would hurry to the counter, find a menu and never notice light reflecting on a ketchup bottle, or cannister, or salt shaker. 
   Ralph's Diner is an oil on canvas.  I could not find information concerning where the painting is today or who owns it.  It is my belief it is a very large work, but no dimensions were given.  I was just pleased it is open for fair use as I could not find that true of some other of his works.  This is often the problem with very contemporary painters, unfortunately and I do want to be careful.
   Make Art a part of your life, it's a beautiful thing to do.

Comments

  1. All lines do lead us right into the picture, and continue to the distant view outside, which I assume are California mountains. Definitely a time capsule image. I read that he paints from slides, and I can't imagine trying to get all those details just perfect. I like the paintings that have people in them much more then his many works of counter objects. I'm not a real fan of his work; it leaves nothing to imagine, interpret or speculate about. But his talent cannot be denied. He is a very competent perfectionist. It is fun to look at something so different and appreciate variety in art.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wayne Thiebaud, Sunset Streets

Nature Abhors A Vacuum, Helen Frankenthraller

Childe Hassam "The Avenue in Rain"