Frank Big Bear, "The Poetry of Joseph E. Big Bear"


 Wow, what's not to love about this colorful, multi image work.  Our artist is Frank Big Bear (1953 -) .  He grew up on the White Earth Reservation and now lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  He has received several Bush Foundation Fellowships, plus the Enduring Vision Award in 2008.   He is represented by the Bockley Gallery in Minneapolis. 

    I love the mystery surrounding the image and the title.  I did learn Joseph E. Big Bear is the artist's brother, and his poetry is part of an attached caption.  I have decided against including it, as I don't find it essential for enjoying the painting.  However the image certainly portrays a personal reaction to the life of this close family member.  
   I have always found inclusion of a whole spectrum of color a very difficult task.  Only a limited number of artists take on the job.  But we can see here, Big Bear is a master at it!  It is fun to run our eyes across the whole format, taking in all the bright colors and images.  Nature images, animals, many birds and shapes abound.  I even see a beetle holding together the corners of the collar.  The bulging eyes create a surprise expression, but, with all the other colors and shapes around them,  I am uncertain it is wise to assume it.   
   The Poetry of Joseph E. Big Bear is part of the permanent collection of the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville, Arkansas.   It was purchased from the Bockley Gallery in 2010.  It is an acrylic on canvas measuring 56 inches high, 40 across, so a large work.  I can image it does a great job of dominating a space when presented.  
   (To read the poem, please go to the museum's website and type in Big Bear.  It should come up.)

   Make Art a part of your life, it's a beautiful thing to do.   
    

Comments

  1. When I first glanced at this painting, I thought I was looking through a kaleidoscope with my macular degeneration!! It's just amazing how much relative detail he included in this painting. I'm sure there is much meaning beyond my understanding of the cultural implications. I find that my eyes are looking for a place to rest!!! It begs a closer observation of all the intimate images. I think it's really spectacular and enjoyable. Yes - interesting poem, too. Very talented brothers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a kaleidoscope! A great thought as it definitely is. Thanks for all your wonderful contributions!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wayne Thiebaud, Sunset Streets

Nature Abhors A Vacuum, Helen Frankenthraller

Childe Hassam "The Avenue in Rain"