Marsha Hatcher, "Sister's Love"


    This morning I was looking through a group of images to select a painting for this week thinking a review of how artist's treat skin color would be interesting.  This lead me to Marsha Hatcher.  I did a search and came across this painting.

  My search gave me little information about Hatcher other than she comes originally from Georgia and now lives in Jacksonville, Florida.  Because she married an army man, she was able to travel the world gaining insight and experience.   I was not able to locate dates on her, but this source wrote that she has been working as a professional artist for over 30 years.

   In viewing other works by her, it is possible to see she holds nothing back and works in a large variety of media and technique, but usually 2D painting most often in acrylic.   

  I love this work!  I find it so powerful. The older sister with hat, earrings and pearls is dressed for a day.  With her lips on her sister's head, and her arms pressing the girl to her, the bond of love is strong.  Notice there is no attempt at establishing any depth beyond them.  The background flowers and blue rhythm pattern give little clue to location, but only enhance the emotional connection.   

   Why blue for the skin color?  I don't know.  This is almost an analogous color harmony, meaning colors next to each other on a color wheel.  Here:  pink, purple, blue, with only the girl's dress the exception.  I find the use of the blue very powerful.   In all the other works by Hatcher this is the only one I saw where skin color was blue; usually shades of brown.

   "Sister's Love" is an acrylic on canvas.   It measures 36 x 24.  I found it on: msehat2.faso.com; marshahatcherfineart.    That sources says this work is available.  I encourage you to check out more of her work online.  

Make Art a part of your life, it's a beautiful thing to do.

Comments

  1. This is a very touching painting of a big sister being very protective of her younger sibling.
    The flowing blue lines at the top, the floral patterns, and the scattered stars on the hat and hair give it a lovely feminine touch. The heavy blue arm forming the lower right corner balances the composition. I love he beautiful color combination and the fine black outlines. Her other works are very interesting, varied. and powerful. Might she be an activist for social justice? "Sister's Love" is lovely!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wayne Thiebaud, Sunset Streets

Nature Abhors A Vacuum, Helen Frankenthraller

Childe Hassam "The Avenue in Rain"