Grace Galvin, "The Old Abandon School House"

 

   Watercolor painting is a great skill often achieved after years of practice.  This week we have a friend of mine whose work I have long admired.  Just like Char two weeks ago, Grace has a definite style and way of working that gives her paintings a unique appearance.  
  Here is what Grace says about this painting:  

    I painted this watercolor from a reference photo taken from outside my hometown in Indiana.  I just completed an art exhibit there that was in conjunction with the Bicentennial of the county.  I painted 30, 8 x 10 inch watercolors of historic homes and buildings in the area, and this was my favorite of the paintings.

    The subject is an old abandoned one-room school house.  I like the composition and the feeling of loneliness of a building that once held a lot of life and happiness.  The old tree in the foreground adds to the drama.

    Working from a photograph is often an essential tool and most artists have used photos, especially for reference. The danger is over working an image and trying to duplicate a photo's detail.  Here, Grace has not done that, she has done a wonderful job of keeping the painting fresh and alive.  I like every part, especially the high grass foreground, and the dark brown/black that gives the work a nice base.  Wonderful painting, Grace! 

Make Art a part of your life, it's a beautiful thing to do.  

Comments

  1. Grace is a master at doing quick and accurate renditions of any subject. I like the loose treatment of the foreground, and adding the dark horizon gives it depth. Nice contrast colors with the dark tree give it real emphasis. I am sure it has emotional ties for some viewers. Definitely suggests a time and place. Grace always gives dignity to her subject.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wayne Thiebaud, Sunset Streets

Nature Abhors A Vacuum, Helen Frankenthraller

Mucha Lithograph, Four Seasons, Winter